Du’Anyam provides alternative employment for pregnant women in East Nusa Tenggara as weavers. We sell a range of wicker baskets and sandals.
- Name of the company: Du'Anyam
- Founder: Azalea Ayuningtyas
- Jl. Kemang Raya No. 15, Lt.3, Jakarta Selatan 12720, Indonesia
- Tel 62 81 9329 34075 / 62 81 2897 63801
Weaving baskets for a safe pregnanc
Du’anyam is a social enterprise producing and distributing handwoven wicker to improve the health and the life of pregnant women in the rural regions of Indonesia. In 2014, the company commenced operations with a first project in Larantuka City which lies in the province East Nusa Tenggara. This province is one of the poorest in Indonesia, with one of the highest rates regarding newborn and maternal mortality rates. This health issue is addressed by the company by employing pregnant woman to craft traditional wicker and thus is offering a good alternative to farming which is combined with hard physical labor. In addition, the project further empowers the women by better financial access to proper nutrition and healthcare. The social impacts which the project should entail are:
- Providing a sustainable craftsmanship business as a source of income for women, which leaves them less dependent on farming for making a living and the risks associated with it, regarding climate shocks
- A notably higher percentage of deliveries is performed in hospitals or healthcare centers
- Reducing the overall occurrence of Chronic Energy Deficiency and other complications regarding the pregnancy due to the absence of hard labor
- Empowering women to cover various costs associated with the delivery due to increased financial capability
- Increasing the awareness of safe maternal healthcare practices which put less pressure on pregnant women to perform arduous farm work
Currently, the goods produced by Du’anyam can be bought in over 10 stores and several online shops.